N0-Nonsense Prayers for a Divided Country: The First 66 Days / by Patti Greene
[From Email notifications, click the title for best web viewing]
What a WEEK![Please feel free to PRINT, SHARE, and FORWARD this post. She “share” features at the bottom of this article. Comments are awesome too!]
Pre-inaugural events—Swearing-in ceremonies—Fancy dresses—Speeches—Parades—Marches—Vulgarity—Activists—Signs—Creepy men in face masks—Pink hats—And, kids!
I have tried three times to write this blog over the past few days. Each time was for naught. Each blog just didn’t seem pertinent enough for the current state of affairs in the United States. When I prayed hard for direction the word “Scripture” kept coming up in my mind.
So, I finally found what God wanted me to share. SCRIPTURE. Below you will find 66 prayers along with 66 Scriptures that address how we can pray for our leaders, government offices, and agencies. There is one verse from each book of the Bible.
Commit today, on the first FULL day of Donald Trump’s presidency, to pray daily for a smooth and peaceful transition into this new era.
66 No-Nonsense Prayers for a Divided Country: The First 66 Days
Day 1: Pray that the Spirit of God will hover over the world.
- Genesis 1:2 – Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
Day 2: Pray that Christians will be fed through church and Christian ministries.
- Exodus 20:8 – Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
Day 3: Pray for our leaders to remain pure.
- Leviticus 20:10 – If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife–with the wife of his neighbor–both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.
Day 4: Pray that our leader’s burdens are given to God.
- Numbers 11:14 – I cannot carry all these people by myself; the burden is too heavy for me.
Day 5: Thank God that our leaders are taking oaths in Your Name.
- Deuteronomy 10:20 – Fear the LORD your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name.
Day 6: Pray for strength not to be discouraged with all you see happening.
- Joshua 1:9 – Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.
Day 7: Ask God to place good, honest judges over our land.
- Judges 2:16 – Then the LORD raised up judges, who saved them out of the hands of these raiders.
Day 8: Pray that God will become a refuge to the people of the land.
- Ruth 2:12 – May the LORD repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge.
Day 9: Pray that pride and arrogance be kept from our leaders.
- 1 Samuel 2:3 – Do not keep talking so proudly or let your mouth speak such arrogance, for the LORD is a God who knows, and by him deeds are weighed.
Day 10: Pray that God’s anointed will be appointed to be officers.
- 2 Samuel 7:8 – Now therefore so shalt thou say unto my servant David, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I took thee from the sheepcote, from following the sheep, to be ruler over my people, over Israel.
Day 11: Pray that the Judicial Branch will recognize liars.
- 1 Kings 22:23 – So now the LORD has put a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you.
Day 12: Pray that the Lord will remove the sins of the people before his anger prevails.
- 2 Kings 17:18-20 – Because the LORD was very angry with Israel, he swept them away from his presence. Only the tribe of Judah remained in the land. But even the people of Judah refused to obey the commands of the LORD their God, for they followed the evil practices that Israel had introduced. The LORD rejected all the descendants of Israel. He punished them by handing them over to their attackers until he had banished Israel from his presence.
Day 13: Pray for evil in the land to be stopped.
- 1 Chronicles 21:22 – And David said to Ornan, Give me the site of the threshing floor that I may build on it an altar to the LORD—give it to me at its full price—that the plague may be averted from the people.
Day 14: Pray for our leaders to pray and seek God’s face.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 – If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Day 15: Pray for our leaders to have courage to take matters into their hands.
- Ezra 10:4 – Arise! For this matter is your responsibility, but we will be with you; be courageous and act.
Day 16: Pray God’s anointed to not rationalize the sins of this nation.
- Nehemiah 4:5 – Do not cover their guilt, and let not their sin be blotted out from your sight, for they have provoked you to anger in the presence of the builders.
Day 17: Pray for Israel.
- Esther 4:14 – For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”
Day 18: Pray for the force of evil attacking our nation.
- Job 1:6 – Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.
Day 19: Pray that you will not fret over evildoers.
- Psalms 37:1-2 – Do not fret because of evildoers, be not envious toward wrongdoers. For they will wither quickly like the grass and fade like the green herb.
Day 20: Pay that our country will be established by righteousness.
- Proverbs 16:12 – It is an abomination to kings to do evil, for the throne is established by righteousness.
Day 21: Pray for the proper time and procedure for all negotiations our leaders encounter.
- Ecclesiastes 8:6 – For there is a proper time and procedure for every delight, though a man’s trouble is heavy upon him.
Day 22: Pray for sexual integrity when leaders make decisions on sexual issues.
- Song of Solomon 8:4 – Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.
Day 23: Ask the Lord to renew the strength of those in authority over us.
- Isaiah 40:31 – Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.
Day 24: Pray that our leaders will ask God where the good way is and strength to walk in it.
- Jeremiah 6:16 – This is what the LORD says: “Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. But you said, ‘We will not walk in it.
Day 25: Pray for the Department of Housing that laws and decisions are fair and just.
- Lamentations 5:2 – Our inheritance has been turned over to strangers, our homes to foreigners.
Day 26: Pray for the Legislative Branch to make good laws and to eliminate bad laws.
- Ezekiel 5:6 – Yet in her wickedness she has rebelled against my laws and decrees more than the nations and countries around her. She has rejected my laws and has not followed my decrees.
Day 27: Pray that our President will give attention to God’s truth.
- Daniel 9:13 – Every curse written against us in the Law of Moses has come true. Yet we have refused to seek mercy from the LORD our God by turning from our sins and recognizing his truth.
Day 28: Pray for our citizens to accept and respect the Office of the President and vice-President.
- Hosea 1:11 – The people of Judah and the people of Israel will come together; they will appoint one leader and will come up out of the land, for great will be the day of Jezreel.
Day 29: Pray our Armed Forces’ protection and focus.
- Joel 2:7 – Like warriors they charge; like soldiers they scale the wall. They march each on his way; they do not swerve from their paths.
Day 30: Pray for people to be healed for the offenses and sins prevalent in our country.
- Amos 5:12 – For I know how many are your offenses and how great your sins. There are those who oppress the innocent and take bribes and deprive the poor of justice in the courts.
Day 31: Lord, help me not to ever gloat over the misfortunes of others.
- Obadiah 1:12 – Do not gloat over your brother’s day, The day of his misfortune. And do not rejoice over the sons of Judah In the day of their destruction; Yes, do not boast In the day of their distress.
Day 32: Lord, show our leaders who is causing the trouble in our nation and how to address them.
- Jonah 1:8 – Then said they unto him, Tell us, we pray thee, for whose cause this evil is upon us; What is thine occupation? and whence comest thou? what is thy country? and of what people art thou?
Day 33: Pray for the Secretary of State to make wise decisions in settling world disputes.
- Micah 4:3 – He will judge between many peoples and will settle disputes for strong nations far and wide. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.
Day 34: Pray that our Armed Services will be strong and mighty.
- Nahum 3:13 – Your troops will be as weak and helpless as women. The gates of your land will be opened wide to the enemy and set on fire and burned.
Day 35: Pray that injustice and violence will cease in our land.
- Habakkuk 1:3 – Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrongdoing? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds.
Day 36: Pray for swift punishment for those with violence and deceit in their heart.
- Zephaniah 1:9 – Yes, I will punish those who participate in pagan worship ceremonies, and those who fill their masters’ houses with violence and deceit.
Day 37: Pray for your state governor to possess godliness and wisdom.
- Haggai 1:14 – So the LORD stirred up the spirit of Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua son of Jozadak, the high priest, and the spirit of the whole remnant of the people. They came and began to work on the house of the LORD Almighty, their God,
Day 38: Pray for the Supreme Court and judges to administer true justice.
- Zechariah 7:9 – This is what the LORD Almighty said: ‘Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another.
Day 39: Thank God for freedom of religion and for that freedom not to be diminished.
- Malachi 1:10 – How I wish one of you would shut the Temple doors so that these worthless sacrifices could not be offered! I am not pleased with you, says the LORD of Heaven’s Armies, and I will not accept your offerings.
Day 40: Pray that our leaders will be servants to those God has given them to serve.
- Matthew 20:26 – Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant.
Day 41: Pray for the House of Representatives and the Senate to be at peace with each other.
- Mark 9:50 – Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with each other.
Day 42: Pray that the men or women voted into office choose God’s salvation in Jesus Christ.
- Luke 18:18 – A certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
Day 43: Pray that our leaders will finish the work God wants them to accomplish.
- John 4:34 – Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to accomplish His work.
Day 44: Pray for the President to speak words of encouragement to the people.
- Acts 20:2 – He traveled through that area, speaking many words of encouragement to the people, and finally arrived in Greece,
Day 45: Pray for God’s authority to rule our land.
- Romans 13:1-4 – Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves. For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.
Day 46: Pray that our leaders will lead with speech that enrich and encourage.
- 1 Corinthians 1:51 – For in him you have been enriched in every way–with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge.
Day 47: Pray for godly sorrow to lead to repentance.
- 2 Corinthians 7:10 – Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.
Day 48: Pray that our leaders do not grow weary of doing good.
- Galatians 6:9 – Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Day 49: Pray against spiritual wickedness in high places.
- Ephesians 6:12 – For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Day 50: Pray that we do not become anxious about issues facing our nation.
- Philippians 4:6 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Day 51: Pray for wisdom as our nation’s leaders deal with outside countries.
- Colossians 4:5 – Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.
Day 52: Pray to proceed with good motives in all our dealings.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:3 – For the appeal we make does not spring from error or impure motives, nor are we trying to trick you.
Day 53: Pray our leaders will recognize the works of Satan.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:9 – The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie.
Day 54: Pray for all who have been put in authority over us.
- 1 Timothy 2:1-2 – First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.
Day 55: Pray our nation’s leaders will turn to the Bible as their source of truth.
- 2 Timothy 3:16 – All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
Day 56: Pray that the religious leaders of our government officials are blameless before God.
- Titus 1:6-7 – An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient.
Day 57: Thank God for the leadership of our country when we pray.
- Philemon 1:4 – I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers.
Day 58: Pray that our leader’s eyes will be fixed on Jesus.
- Hebrews 12:2 – Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Day 59: Pray for our leaders to be peacemakers.
- James 3:18 – Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.
Day 60: Pray that those who lead our nation have alert and sober minds.
- 1 Peter 1:13 – Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Day 61: Pray for God’s divine power to abound in our nation.
- 2 Peter 1:32 – His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
Day 62: Pray for those who practice unlawfulness.
- 1 John 3:41 – Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.
Day 63: Give thanks for the joy you give us when we walk in your truth.
- 2 John 1:4 – It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us.
Day 64: Pray for health and healing for our nation’s leaders.
- 3 John 1:23 – Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.
Day 65: Pray freedom and peace in your local cities.
- Jude 1:7 – In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.
Day 66: Thank God for his prophecy of hope for a new nation.
- Revelation 21:24 – The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it.
God Bless. And as always, please share and forward this email to your friends and family.
Patti Greene, Member Inspirational Writers Alive
Dear God, the election is over. We have new leadership in our country. As believers, let us unite in prayer. Use me to pray for our country, its leadership, and for your truth every day for the next sixty-six days. Fill me with your Holy Spirit as I pray. Let my prayers be in accordance to your will. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.
Verses taken from various Bible versions: ESV, NIV, KJV, NASB, and NLT.
Bible text verses are taken from Bible Hub.
Books by Patti Greene: